If I were in the market for bar stools, I would go for an updated classic…
…or a piece with some sculptural flare…
But that would imply I have money to burn! We already have a perfectly good pair of bar stools that we nabbed from an uncle’s storage unit when we first moved in together/got married. Read, it’s time to upcycle and get our craft on!There used to be some natural wood elements to our stools but I initially gave them a few coats of white spray paint cause I thought it made them less tacky. I entertained the idea of making/buying seat covers but I’ve never been a fan of them. They always seem to slide all over the place and get lumpy and stained in no time. Wow, I guess I am actually practical about at least one design concept!
So I did a little search for ideas and came across this fabric covered bar stool. I loved how fun they were and how crisp the fabric looked on top. Best of all, all you need is fabric and mod podge!
But I was a little leery of the results (remember, I’m actually being practical on this one?). So I left a comment and the blogger, Claire, not only responded to the comment but sent me a personal email. Here’s an excerpt:
“I was so happy with how the stools turned out. It was my first real DIY makeover. The modpodge has held up really well. Admittedly we’re not sitting on them daily but it hasn’t worn at all. My aunt made kids stools using the same method and had no trouble with it so it should hold up over time. Good luck!”
I hafta tell you, being new to this whole blogging bidness (which actually isn’t a business at all for me) I’ve been really impressed and warmed by all the thoughtful and encouraging responses I’ve received from fellow bloggers along the way thus far. Anywho…I really liked the idea of using a striped patterned (when is stripes a bad idea? Please don’t answer that, my wardrobe will have its feelings hurt) so I bought a yard of Sophia fabric at Ikea for $7.99. I only used a fourth of it so really I only spent $2 on this whole project and about a third of a jar of mod podge. I previously bought mod podge for no particular project thinking that it might be useful to keep in my crafting arsenal (and wanting to find out what all the big fuss was about) and have thus far found many a use. If you’re unfamiliar, think extra strong (and smelly) glue in a bottle.I gave the top a bit of a sanding (because sanding furniture always seems like a good idea), wiped it down, and let it dry.Here’s a little behind-the-scenes action for ya! Whenever I start taking photographs, Anak usually insists on joining the fun so I let him borrow my point-and-shoot camera. We’ll work on light metering when you hit three, little one.I traced a circle and cut about two inches away to leave some room for wrapping . Then I put mod podge directly on the chair, smoothed the fabric down, and applied a generous coat of mod podge on top to fully saturate the fabric.I used masking tape to wrap the edges
because that screams durability (I’m still out of hot glue gun sticks) and applied a coat of mod podge to the edges. I made it a point to keep the lines straight (my fabric isn’t nearly as organic as Claire’s). I think the whole project took about three episodes of commercial-free Hart of Dixie. Update: I finally got some more glue gun sticks and glued down the edges.The I went a little sanding happy and gave some parts a worn look for added character.A closeup (should have used a tripod, those stripes looks trippy!).I really like the way they turned out and they were worth the full two dollars I spent on the project! I think the room is really starting to come together now.
Linked to Boogieboard Cottage, Keeping it Simple, Say Not Sweet Anne, An Original Belle, The Gunny Sack, Alderberry Hill, Not Just a Housewife, Happy Go Lucky, Delightful Order, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Somewhat Simple, One More Time, House of Hepworths.